Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Wedding Trousseau and Other Short Stories - Book review




So, the lovely Miss Ankita asked me to review her book, "The Wedding Trousseau and Other Short Stories". I don't understand why she wants me to do it; I write stupid posts and nonsensical stories. That is all I can do. And I'm not even being modest. Reviewing a book needs skills, me thinks. But then I also think all of our politicians should have common sense, I'm old fashioned that way. Anyway, I think I can review a book.

Ok jokes aside, I feel happy to do this. When someone is asking for an informed opinion about their work, you know they value it. And the other reason is, it's such a good read. Ankita's debut work is a collection of 11 short stories; all of them beautifully written. She is an adept writer. She knows how to articulate her thoughts and put them into words in an impressive manner. Her stories have soul, and almost always revolve around human emotions.

This book is no different. The 11 stories play with different human emotions, where the characters are an embodiment of that particular human emotion. The stories are also an intelligent mockery of the individual and societal perceptions and presumptions about the world around us. It questions our preconceived notions about the world in a subtle yet powerful manner. Love, pride, apathy, anger, sorrow, and so on. They are all there. This was the most striking aspect of the book for me. But then there is also humour, the kind that is very distinct and identifiable to Ankita, if you have read her posts.

The language is another great attribute. When someone uses the word 'Trousseau' in their title, you can be pretty sure that they have a strong hold over the language and an expansive vocabulary. But then I don't mean she uses words where you need to refer a dictionary every now and then. No, instead it's written in such a simple language but using the right words where they are needed. Also, at just around 129 pages, it's a breeze finishing the book. It took me a little over 2hrs to finish it. This is another strong reason to read it. It's short, it's crisp and it leaves you with a wonderful feeling.

All in all, it's such a good read. It was a pleasure reading and reviewing the book. And even though I liked all the stories, I liked the "Site Visit" a lot. It's a spooky thriller. And I like such short spooky thrillers. So go now and place an order for your copy today. It can be bought at Amazon, Buy Books and Flipkart. I wish Ankita all the very best for her future endeavours and hope that she writes lot more books and becomes a successful author.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot! I am so glad you liked the book :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the modest preamble by the blogger about her ability to review,it has been made very well of what seems a wonderful collection of short stories.I haven't read the book and the review kindles the desire to grab Ankita's book soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err... I'm a guy. :D I think I should set a profile picture.
      Anyway, I'm happy that my review got you interested in the book. Do read it. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. People who are love to read, bookchor.com is like a paradise for them, where they can find books in abundance, such as Travel, Sports, Graphic-comics, Romance, Science Fiction, Adventure, Mystery & Crime, Biography, Children, Academics, many more.

    ReplyDelete